Monday, October 25, 2010

Harmless Inelastic Collisions

While I was thinking back about what I could blog about this weekend, I remembered the video taken of me tackling Scott Marison into the pool.  Normally no mortal could hope to take down a direct descendent of Genghis Khan who still practices the ancient Mongolian warrior arts, but Scott apparently allowed this "sneak attack." Or perhaps a favorable kamikaze was backing my attack. Divine wind or no divine wind, this example of an inelastic collision was a major victory for the Japanese.





As you can see, my larger momentum in the collision (due to a higher velocity) caused the final velocities to be in a direction similar to that of my initial velocity. However, because Scott was walking and did therefore have some initial momentum, the final velocity was not in the exact same direction as my initial velocity.  If Scott had either a higher velocity or a larger mass, the direction of our velocities would be closer to that of his initial velocity. And just like in any other inelastic collision, both of our final velocities were the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment